What To Expect
- Learn about the tourism & hospitality industry.
- Discover different career paths.
- Have a fun, hands-on introduction to hotel operations.
- Introduction to supervision & management topics including communications, HR, management & marketing.
- Visit local hotel & tourism sites.
- Ask questions of ICHM students.
- Meet the teaching staff.
- Experience the world class ICHM teaching facilities.
- Places are limited and they tend to fill up fast, especially in July with a number of students from overseas also applying as if fits in with their school holidays.
SAMANTHA HOWARD IS AN ICHM GRADUATE THAT ATTENDED A CAREER WEEK. SHE COMPLETED INTERNSHIPS AT THE PENINSULA HOTEL HONG KONG & THE ISLAND SHANGRI-LA HONG KONG, WHERE SHE IS CURRENTLY WORKING ON THEIR GRADUATE MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
Being born and raised in Hong Kong, I was lucky enough to be exposed to travel from a young age and I was hooked! Travel was the biggest thing for me when choosing a career path and I initially considered being a pilot. After discovering that friends and family would probably not get in a car I was driving much less an airplane, I realised I had to re-think!
After hearing about ICHM through my high school career centre, I was instantly drawn to the course for its concentrated study program and internship opportunities. Suddenly, I found myself strongly considering a career in hospitality. After researching all possible options in Australia, I still felt that ICHM was best suited to me. Not having a plan B, I decided that I better make sure plan A would work. I felt that the best way to know for sure would be to visit ICHM and to get a feel for Adelaide. I signed up the next day for a Career Week!
On my first day in Adelaide, I met an old Hong Kong school friend on the train to Glenelg and decided that the world wasn’t asbig as I thought it was and that Adelaide was big enough for me! With friendly lecturers and international students, the classes at ICHM throughout the week confirmed that it was the place I wanted to be.
Starting ICHM in January 2008, it felt awesome to work hard for something I wanted and enjoyed. I did my first internship at the Hong Kong Peninsula in Food and Beverage before heading back to Adelaide for second year studies. My second placement was at the Island Shangri-La Hong Kong in Sales and Marketing. From here, opportunities and possibilities seem endless.
Thanks to Career Week, I made the right career choice and thanks to ICHM, I have the support network for a promising career in hospitality.
Enjoy! Good luck!